Welcome to my homepage!
I am an associate professor of meteorology at the Department of Physics, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics at the University of Ljubljana.
I received my BSc in physics and and MSc in atmospheric physics from the Faculty of Sciences at the University of Zagreb and my PhD from the Department of Meteorology at the Stockholm University . The title of my doctoral dissertation was "Dynamical aspects of atmospheric data assimilation in the tropics". My post-doctoral fellowship was awarded by the Advanced Study Program at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, where I worked on the large-scale dynamics and data assimilation.
My research interests range from modelling mid-latitude mesoscale weather for the purpose of numerical weather prediction to large-scale tropical variability and data assimilation. My two main research topics are the representation of the background-error covariances for data assimilation in the tropics and application of the normal-mode function representation to 3D global datasets. A real-time view of atmospheric energy spectra and unbalanced circulation analyzed by using the normal-mode function representation is available on the MODES pages. More information about ongoing projects is under Projects and Publication pages.
I am teaching several courses at the Bacherol, Master and PhD level at the University of Ljubljana including atmospheric thermodynamics, dynamical meteorology, weather analysis and forecasting and general circulation.
My services include an associate editorship of the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society . I am also a vice-chair of the COST network TN1301 Sci-Generation and a member of the Young Academy of Europe .
N E W S:
- N. Žagar and C. Franzke: Systematic Decomposition of the Madden-Julian Oscillation into Balanced and Inertio-Gravity Components. Submitted. (2015/02).
- N. Žagar, R. Buizza and J. Tribbia: Modal analysis of atmospheric predictability based on the ECMWF ensemble. Submitted. (2015/02).
- On "Some factors influencing the success of ERC starting grant(ee)s in countries of Eastern Europe" (2015/02/28)
- Paper by V. Blazica, Gustafsson and N. Žagar, The impact of periodization methods on the kinetic energy spectra for limited-area numerical weather prediction models. has been published in GMD (2015/01/23)
- European states and regions are failing young researchers, write members of YAE and SciGeneration in a Nature correspondence
- Paper by Vanja Blazica, Nils Gustafsson and Nedjeljka Zagar, "The impact of periodization methods on the kinetic energy spectra for limited-area numerical weather prediction models" has been accepted for publication in Geoscientific Model Development.
- Marten Blaauw and Blaz Jesenko have updated the MODES pages with the Hovmoeller diagrams.
- The paper on the theory and technical development of the MODES software has been submitted to GMD: Žagar, N. et al., 2014: Normal-mode function representation of global 3D datasets: an open-access software for atmospheric research community. A copy is available on request.
- Paper by Podglajen et al. Assessment of the accuracy of (re)analyses in the equatorial lower stratosphere, has been published, 16 Oct 2014.
- In collaboration with NCAR, the ERC StG MODES is organizing a workshop on normal modes in theory and applications to take place 26-28 August 2015 in Boulder, Colorado at NCAR Mesa Lab. More information to follow.
- On 1 October 2014 MODES goes alive.
- Paper by Cardinali et al. Representing model error in ensemble data assimilation has been published, 23 Sep 2014.
- On 1 August 2014 Ziga Zaplotnik joined the group. Welcome Ziga!
- On 1 March 2014 Damjan Jelic joined the MODES team. Welcome Damjan!
- On 1 January 2014 Blaz Jesenko joined the group. Welcome Blaz!
- Center of Excellence SPACE SI completed its first phase on 31 December 2013. More on SPACE-SI .