Welcome to my homepage!
I am an associate professor of meteorology at the Department of Physics, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics at the University of Ljubljana.
I received my BSc and MSc in physics/atmospheric physics from the Faculty of Sciences at the University of Zagreb and my PhD from the Department of Meteorology at the Stockholm University . The title of my doctoral dissertation was "Dynamical aspects of atmospheric data assimilation in the tropics". My post-doctoral fellowship was awarded by the Advanced Study Program at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, where I worked on the large-scale dynamics and data assimilation.
My research interests range from modelling the mid-latitude mesoscale weather for the purpose of numerical weather prediction to large-scale tropical variability and data assimilation. One of my main research topics is the modelling of the background-error covariances for data assimilation. I am applying data assimilation methods to address problems of interest for understanding general circulation and its numerical modelling. More information about ongoing projects and collaborations is available on related pages.
I am teaching several courses at the Bacherol, Master and PhD level at the University of Ljubljana including atmospheric thermodynamics, dynamical meteorology, weather analysis and forecasting and general circulation.
My services include a membership in the Young Academy of Europe and an associate editorship of the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society .
N E W S:
- On 1 January 2014 Blaz Jesenko joined the group. Welcome Blaz!
- Center of Excellence SPACE SI completed its first phase on 31 December 2013. More on SPACE-SI .
- NEURAL kick-off meeting took place on 15-16 November. The project happily kicked off in sunny Split.
- Sci-Generation kick-off meeting took place on 13-14 November in Vilnius, Lithuania.
- Vanja Blazica successfully defended her PhD on 27 September 2013. It is the first PhD in meteorology in Slovenia since 2009. Congratulations Vanja!