Physics Education Program
Master of Science in Physics Education, abbreviation: M.Sc.Phys.Edu.
2 years (4 semesters), 120 ECTS credits in total (ECTS = European Credit Transfer and accumulation System)
The main objectives of the program:
The fundamental objective of the Physics Education program is to prepare students for autonomous educational and research work as a physics teacher on all levels of primary and secondary education, including the programs that put special emphasis on the science courses, work with gifted students and programs that prepare for national exam in physics. Additional goal of the program is to prepare students for the professions that require effective and accurate communication and presentation of science findings and technological innovations to general public.
Course specific competences:
- Ability to apply and/or identify scientific reasoning and recognize the lack of it
- Ability to connect science knowledge across different disciplines
- Ability to work professionally individually and as a part of a team
- Ability to communicate and present a scientific topic to a professional and to general public
- Ability to communicate with students, parents and other teachers
- Ability to establish clear rules and applying these rules also to herself/himself.
- Ability to perform classroom management in a way that leads to productive learning
- Ability to identify individual characteristics of students and different factors that may stimulate/obstruct successful learning.
- Ability to create simulative learning environment
- Ability to work with gifted and disabled students
- Ability to perform formative and summative assessment of students' knowledge
- Ability to use didactic equipment, including ICT, effectively
- Ability to plan, perform and evaluate her/his own professional development.
Students fulfilling the following criteria are eligible to enroll in Physics Education program
a) Applicants who have completed the 1st cycle degree program in the field of physics, program Physics, Educational module.
b) Applicants who have completed the 1st cycle degree program in the field of physics (program Physics or Meteorology with Geophysics) and in addition to this completed the following two courses
- Didactics of Physics 1 (5 ECTS)
- Psychology of learning and teaching (7 ECTS)
c) Applicants who have completed the 1st cycle of two-subject study program "Physics and..." for primary school teachers with physics as one of the program subjects.
d) Applicants who have completed 3 year Higher education professional study program, if candidates prior to enrolment complete the missing courses (in the amount of 10-60 ECTS ) essential for continuing study at Physics Education program. The content and number of exams is subject to decision of the Study committee of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics who also decides if some of these requirements can be completed during the 1st cycle degree program.
Enrollment is also opened to the candidates who have completed equivalent education as defined in items a) to d) abroad. They can enroll under the same conditions as candidates who have completed education in Slovenia. Prior to enrolment in the 2nd cycle degree program the candidates must submit their documentation of education for verification.
The program offers up to 10 enrollment positions per year for full-time study. In the case of larger enrollment, candidates will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Achieved average grade in the first cycle of the study,
- Grades achieved from the courses that are covering the field of physics.
Certain prior qualifications can be acknowledged and accepted as successfully completed courses if acquired on the programs that are equivalent to our Physics Education program. If the content and duration of the course completed elsewhere is comparable to a course at the Department of Physics, it can be awarded the same number of ECTS credits.
A written request, including proof of qualifications, must be made. Each request is considered by the Study committee of the Department of Physics on an individual basis. It is advisable to consult the Student Support Office prior to submitting the request to Study committee. The recognition of each course will be based on the following criteria:
- Comparability of the duration of the acquired course with the course to be recognized,
- Comparability of the content adequacy of the acquired course with the course to be recognized. If the study commission determines that the acquired course can be recognized, it is awarded the same number of points according to the ECTS system, as the corresponding course at the Department of Physics.
Students that are enrolled in the first year can enroll in the second year if they fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete of at least two of the compulsory courses from the first year
- Accumulate at least 52 ECTS during the first year.
In order to repeat a year, the following requirements have to be fulfilled:
- At least half of the required credits of the current year must have been obtained, that is 30 ECTS, and
- All courses required in preceding years must have been completed entirely.
To finish the program, student must successfully complete all requirements in the amount of 60 ECTS per study year (together 120 ECTS). Student finishes the program with a successful preparation and defense of the master's thesis.
Transfers from other degree programs, as well as transfers between physics programs, are possible. They are, however, subject to conditions and requirements determined by the Study committee of the Department of Physics. Enquiries should be made to the Student Support Office.
Each course is assessed individually. Typically, assessment includes a written and an oral examination. Written examinations are usually performed throughout the semester, while oral examinations take place after other requirements (written examination, homework, seminars etc.) have been successfully completed. Typically there are three formal examination periods per academic year.
The assessment criteria and details are subject to the rules and guidelines of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, which are confirmed by the Senate of the Faculty of the Mathematics and Physics. In assessment, grades are awarded according to the Statutes of the University of Ljubljana.
∑ = number of contact hours per semester
»i« = number of hours from elective courses
Numbers in brackets show expected sum of the hours.
|Didactics of physics 2||2||1||1||1||75||5||150|
|Selected topics from physics of matter||4||0||1||0||75||6||180|
|Development of ideas in physics||2||0||1||0||45||4||120|
|Pedagogy with andragogy||3||0||0||0||45||3||90|
|Total 1st semester||165+i||15+1||90+i||15+i||(375)||30||900|
|Pedagogy with andragogy||2||0||0||0||30||3||90|
|Teaching practice 1||2||0||0||10||180||10||300|
|Total 2nd semester||90+i||15+i||15+i||210+i||(420)||30||900|
|Total year 1||255+i||30+i||105+i||225+i||(795)||60||1800|
|Didactics of physics 3||2||1||1||1||75||5||150|
|Selected topics from Astrophysics and particle physics||4||0||1||0||75||6||180|
|Teaching practice 2||2||0||0||5||105||5||180|
|Total 3rd semester||120+i||15+i||75+i||90+i||(410)||30||900|
|Master thesis research work||12*||180||25||750|
|Total 4th semester||0+i||0+i||0+i||180+i||(230)||30||900|
|Total year 2||120+i||15+i||75+i||270+i||(640)||60||1800|
* Master thesis research work involves also other (independed) forms of work.
|Total year 1 + year 2||375+i||45+i||180+i||495+i||(1435)||120||3600|