1290. sredin seminar: Maria Prosperina Vitale: The analysis of student mobility flows in higher education. Insights from empirical data
Datum objave: 15. 12. 2019
Seminar za računalniško matematiko (Sredin seminar)
Sreda, 11. december 2019, od 18:15 do 19:45, predavalnica 3.04, FMF, Jadranska 21, LJ
The aim of the seminar is to present first results on the analysis of student mobility flows in two different theoretical settings by exploiting the use of social network analysis tools. On the one hand, the Italian student mobility in higher education is considered given that it represents an emerging issue for the academic system, especially for the regions located in Southern Italy. Indeed, the study of the push and pull factors which drive students' flows in Italy is a key asset for the implementation of policies to boost university attractiveness. On the other hand, International student mobility across European countries is an essential instrument for measuring the degree of internationalization of institutions and several benefits of participating in a study abroad program during university are reported. Therefore, the European Economic Community supported mobility schemes for higher education and gave birth to a strong channel for international student and staff mobility across Europe.
Starting from these theoretical frameworks, Network Analysis approach is adopted in order to (i) analyze the patterns of student mobility across Italian provinces/universities or European countries; (ii) identify the directions and intensity of student mobility flow; (iii) discover the presence of good exporter and good importer actors by means of hub and authorities network centrality measures; and, (iv) to explore the presence of homogeneous territorial sub-areas by using the approaches of community detection algorithms and blockmodeling analysis.
For studying Italian student mobility flows, the data provided by the National Student Archive were considered (Ragozini et al., 2019; Columbu et al., 2019); whereas for the International student mobility trajectories involved in the Erasmus programme, the data from the official European Commission website on Erasmus-Statistics were taken into account (Restaino et al., 2019; Primerano et al., 2019).
- Columbu, Porcu, Primerano, Sulis, Vitale M.P. (2019). Exploring the Italian student mobility flows in higher education. In: Statistical Methods for Service Quality Evaluation. Book of short papers of IES 2019 Napoli Cuzzolin Pag.46-49
- Columbu, Porcu, Primerano, Sulis, Vitale M.P. The Geography of Italian Student Mobility: a Network Analysis Approach (submitted)
- Primerano I., Restaino M., Vitale M.P. (2019). The analysis of the International Erasmus student mobility network. Insights from empirical data.In: Statistical Methods for Service Quality Evaluation. Book of short papers of IES 2019 Napoli Cuzzolin Pag.40-44
- Ragozini G., Giordano G., Vitale M.P. (2019). The analysis of student mobility flows in higher Education. A network perspective. Book of abstracts International Workshop ARS'19
- Restaino M., Vitale M.P., Primerano I. Analysing International Student Mobility Flows in Higher Education. A Comparative Study on European Countries (submitted)