Enrollment in the second year of studies.
Our Galaxy: properties of our Galaxy, observational methods, components, structure and dynamics of our Galaxy, black hole in its centre.
Normal galaxies: classification and basic properties of galaxies, methods for distance determination, dark matter problem, modern sky surveys, models of galactic formation and evolution.
Active galaxies: types and properties of active galaxies, energetics and unified model with a supermassive black hole.
Spatial distribution of galaxies: clusters and superclusters of galaxies, dark matter in clusters.
Cosmology: cosmological principle, Olbers' paradox, Hubble's law. Big Bang, primordial nucleosynthesis, microwave background radiation. Friedman's equation and cosmological models. Measuring cosmological parameters. Open problems in cosmology: dark matter, dark energy, flatness of the Universe etc.
M H. Jones, R.J.A. Lambourne: An Introduction to Galaxies and Cosmology, Cambridge University Press, 2004
Acquiring knowledge about methods and results of research on the Universe at large scales, its beginning and evolution.
Knowledge and understanding:
Understanding of galaxies and the Universe as a whole.
Methods and results of extra-galactic astrophysics and cosmology are the basis of modern physical picture of the Universe.
Reflection on our position in the Universe, history of the Universe and on universality of physical laws in the whole observable Universe.
Application of mathematical and physical knowledge and deduction in problem solving.
Lectures, numerical problems, projects and consultations.
Mark from projects and colloquia/written exam
Mark from oral exam
grading: 5 (fail), 6-10 (pass) (according to the Statute of UL)
• PLANELLES, Susana, FABJAN, Dunja, BORGANI, Stefano, MURANTE, Giuseppe, RASIA, Elena, et al. Pressure of the hot gas in simulations of galaxy clusters. Monthly notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, ISSN 1365-2966, 2017, vol. 467, issue 4, str. 3827-3847
• PLANELLES, Susana, FABJAN, Dunja, et al. On the role of AGN feedback on the thermal and chemodynamicalproperties of the hot intracluster medium. Monthly notices of the royal astronomical society, ISSN 0035-8711, 2014, vol. 438, issue 1, str. 195-216
• FABJAN, Dunja, et al. X-ray mass proxies from hydrodynamic simulations of galaxy clusters – I. Monthly notices of the royal astronomical society, ISSN 0035-8711, 2011, vol. 416, issue 2, str. 801-816
• FABJAN, Dunja, et al. Simulating the effect of active galactic nuclei feedback on the metal enrichment of galaxy clusters. Monthly notices of the royal astronomical society, ISSN 0035-8711, 2010, vol. 401, issue 3, str. 1670-1690
• FABJAN, Dunja, et al. Evolution of the metal content of the intracluster medium with hydrodynamical simulations. Monthly notices of the royal astronomical society, ISSN 0035-8711, 2008, vol. 386, issue 3, str. 1265-1273