Enrollment into the program.
Electromagnetic field quantization, photonic representation, coherent states. Observables, photon counting, correlation functions and coherence.
Field representation with quantum distribution functions.
Light – atoms interactions. Dressed states and quantum Rabi oscillations.
Compressed states and optical parameter amplification.
Interaction with reservoir, densiti matrix time evolution.
Quantum theory of lasers.
Entangeled states, Bell's inequalities, quantum codeing.
Christopher Gerry and Peter Knight, Introductory Quantum Optics, Cambridge University Press, 2004,
D. F. Walls and G.J. Milburn, Quantum Optics, Springer 1995,
R. Loudon, The Quantum Theory of Light, 3rd ed., Oxford University Press 2000.
Getting acquinted with quantum description of light and most important quantum effects in optics.
Knowledge and understanding:
Knowledge of basic concepts and methods of quantum optics, understandong the difference between quantum and classical interpretation of light.
Acquired knowledge is the basis for a detailed discussion of laser physics and quantum informatics.
Deepened understanding of quantum effects nature, light as an aexmaple of quantified field.
Usage of stohastic techniques and discussion of operator equations.
Lectures, numerical exercises, homework, seminars, consultations.
Final written exam or exams from exercises during the course
grading: 5 (fail), 6-10 (pass) (according to the Statute of UL)
- VILFAN, Mojca, OSTERMAN, Natan, ČOPIČ, Martin, RAVNIK, Miha, ŽUMER, Slobodan, KOTAR, Jurij, BABIČ, Dušan, POBERAJ, Igor. Confinement effect on interparticle potential in nematic colloids. Phys. rev. lett. 101, 237801 (2008).
- GORJAN, Martin, MARINČEK, Marko, ČOPIČ, Martin. Pump absorption and temperature distribution in erbium-doped double-clad fluoride-glass fibres. Opt. express, 17, 19814(2009).
- PETELIN, Andrej, ČOPIČ, Martin. Observation of a soft mode of elastic instability in liquid crystal elastomers. Phys. rev. lett. 103, 077801 (2009).
- MERTELJ, Alenka, REŠETIČ, Andraž, GYERGYEK, Sašo, MAKOVEC, Darko, ČOPIČ, Martin. Anisotropic microrheological properties of chain-forming magnetic fluids. Soft matter 7, 118 (2011).
- MERTELJ, Alenka, CMOK, Luka, ČOPIČ, Martin, COOK, Gary, EVANS, Dean R. Critical behavior of director fluctuations in suspensions of ferroelectric nanoparticles in liquid crystals at the nematic to smectic-A phase transition. Phys. rev. E 85, 021705 (2012).