Enrollment into the program.
Positive result from midterm exam (or final written exam) is necessary to enter the oral exam.
Assist. Prof. Dr. Damijan Škrk
Enrollment into the program.
Radiation measurements (measurement instruments: active, passive, dose).
Impact and consequences of ionizing radiation (absorbed dose, equivalent dose, effective dose, stochastic effects, deterministic effects, models of dose-response relation).
Evaluation of exposure to ionizing radiation (occupational exposure , medical exposures, public exposure , collection of data)
Principals and measures of ionizing radiation protection (justification,, optimization, limit values).
Intervention due to unusual events
(Classification of events, evaluation of consequences, decisions on the measures).
Regulations, guidelines and organization of radiation protection safety (EURATOM, Slovenian legislation, organizations: ICRP, IAEA, UNSCEAR, ISOE/NEA)
- H. Cember, Introduction to Health Physics, 4rd ed., McGraw-Hill, 2008
- Council Directive 13/59 EURATOM, laying down basic safety standards for protection against the dangers arising from exposure to ionising radiation
- International Basic Safety Standards Protecting People and the Environment, IAEA Safety Series 2014
- Zakon o varstvu pred ionizirajočimi sevanji in jedrski varnosti (Uradni list RS št 102/04, 60/11) s pripadajočimi predpisi
Objectives: The student familiarizes himself with the principles of radiation protection legislation and international recommendation
Competences: Students acquires knowledge on the measurements and the impact of ionizing radiation. The students differ between different types of exposures and measures with unusual events.
Knowledge and understanding:
Understanding the principles of radiation protection based on fundaments of radiophysics and its integration in international rules and recommendation.
The acquired knowledge provides basic understanding of radiation protection principles for working with sources of ionizing radiation and conducting radiation activities in practice.
Critical assessment of compliance between the theoretical principles and actions in practice.
Using the principles and guidelines of radiation protection and awareness of the fundaments on which the principles and guidelines were built.
Lectures, exercises, homework, consultations.
Final written exam
Grading: 5 (fail), 6-10 (pass) (according to the Statute of UL)
1. D. Škrk et al., Diagnostic reference levels for X-ray examinations in Slovenia. Radiol. oncol. (Ljubl.), 2006, vol. 40, no. 3, str. 189-195.
2. KUHELJ, Dimitrij, ZDEŠAR, Urban, JEVTIČ, Vladimir, ŠKRK, Damijan, OMAHEN, Gregor, ŽONTAR, Dejan, ŠURLAN, Miloš, GLUŠIČ, Mojca, POPOVIĆ, Peter, KOCIJANČIČ, Igor, SALAPURA, Vladka. Risk of deterministic effects during endovascular aortic stent graft implantation. Br. J. Radiol., 2010, vol. 83, no. 995, str. 958-963.
3. ŽONTAR, Dejan, KUHELJ, Dimitrij, ŠKRK, Damijan, ZDEŠAR, Urban. Patient peak skin doses from cardiac interventional procedures. Radiat. prot. dosim., 2010, vol. 139, no. 1/3, str. 262-265.