Cell biology and molecular biology
Prof. Dr. Maja Čemažar, Dr. Gregor Serša
Cells and methods of studying cells: the formation and evolution of cells, light and electron microscope, molecular biological methods, prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells, model organisms
The molecular composition of cells: water and inorganic substances, proteins, carbohydrates, nucleic acids, polysaccharides
Cellular metabolism : catabolism, anabolism, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, enzymes
Structure and function of cell organelles: nucleus, chromosomes, genes, DNA transcription, replication, repair and recombination of DNA, ribosomes and translation, cell membrane, membrane transport, endomembrane system: the endoplasmic Rheticus, Golgi apparatus, vacuole, circulation membranes, endocytosis, exocytosis, intracellular digestion; lysosomes, organelles of the energy transformation: mitochondria and chloroplasts, cytosol, cytoskeleton: microtubules, actin filaments, the intermediate filaments, cell wall
Cellular communication: receptors, signaling molecules
Cell cycle: interphase and M phase, cell cycle control
Cell division: mitosis and cytokinesis
Cell death: programmed cell death , necrosis
Meiosis and sexual reproduction
Basics of inheritance
Tissues and cancer: the extracellular matrix, intercellular connections, tissue repair, cancer
• Cooper GM. The Cell: A molecular approach. 2 izdaja, Sinauer Associates Inc, Sunderland, MA, 2000
• Bruce Alberts, Alexander Johnson, Julian Lewis, Martin Raff, Keith Roberts, Peter Walter. Molecular biology of the cell: fourth edition. Garland Publishing, Inc. New York, London, 2002.
Students get familiar with the basic knowledge on cell biology and molecular biology.
Understanding of the cell biology, of information transfer from DNA to proteins, on the procesing and transport of proteins in the cells, cell metabolizm and communication with the environment. This knowledge will be essential in understanding related subjects, Radiobiology, Anatomy and Physiology, as well as for following and a critical evaluation of developements in the field.
Knowledge and understanding:
Understanding fundamental concepts of cell structure and functioning.
Use of the understanding of cell biology and molecular biology for recognision and solving of problems in research and applications.
Critical evaluation of the fundamental knowledge of cell biology and molecular biology in cases of specific applications.
Ability to understand fields of science related to cell bilogy and molecular biology, and ability to effectively communicate with the experts from these fields.
Lectures, seminars, consultations.
grading: 5 (fail), 6-10 (pass) (according to the Statute of UL)
- ČEMAŽAR M, GROŠEL A, GLAVAČ D, KOTNIK V, SKOBERNE M, KRANJC S, MIR LM, ANDRE F, OPOLON P, SERŠA G. Effects of electrogenetherapy with p53wt combined with cisplatin on survival of human tumor cell lines with different p53 status. DNA Cell Biol 2003; 22: 765-75.
- SNOJ M, RUDOLF Z, ČEMAŽAR M, JANČAR B, SERŠA G. Successful sphincter-saving treatment of anorectal malignant melanoma with electrochemotherapy, local excision and adjuvant brachytherapy. Anti-Cancer Drugs 2005; 16: 345-8.
- TODOROVIĆ, Vesna, KAMENŠEK, Urška, SERŠA, Gregor, ČEMAŽAR, Maja. Changing electrode orientation, but not pulse polarity, increases the efficacy of gene electrotransfer to tumors in vivo. Bioelectrochemistry, ISSN 1567-5394. [Print ed.], 2014, vol. , no. , str. [1-9]