Experiments in physics 2
In this course the students have the choice of the selecting three of the following lab exercises:
• The measurement of the angular distribution of cosmic rays with a system of multi-wire proportional chambers
• Multianode photomultiplier tubes and diffraction experiment with single photons
• Determination of the mass difference of D mesons, mD *-mD
• Plasma diagnostics
• Transmission electron microscopy of nanotubes
• Reactor: the critical experiment
• Reactor: response to a change in the reactivity of the reactor
• A. Likar, Fizikalna merjenja I in II
• W.R. Leo, Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiments, Springer, 1987.
• B.P. Roe, Probability and statistics in experimental physics, Springer 1992.
• Specialna literatura ob posameznih vajah.
Students learn about basic experimental methods of physics.
Subject-specific competencies: Knowledge, understanding and practical hands-on experience in complex measurements in various fields physics. A large fraction of the lab exercises are carried out at the J. Stefan Institute.
Knowledge and understanding:
Acquire practical knowledge in the fields of experimental physics and instrumentation.
Ability to work with complex experimental equipment. Understanding critical parameters in experimentation in physics.
A critical assessment of an experimental apparatus, its accuracy and reliability.
Ability to work on a complex apparatus, data acquisition, and its collection and analysis. Ability to determine the accuracy of the measurement.
Lectures, laboratory excercises, analysis of measurements.
Reports on 3 lab excercises.
grading: 5 (fail), 6-10 (pass) (according to the Statute of UL)
prof. dr. Peter Križan
• I. Arino et al., The HERA-B Ring Imaging Čerenkov Counter, Nucl. instrum, methods phys res., Sect. A, Accel., 2003, 516, str. 445-461.
• I. Adachi et al., Precise measurement of the CP violation parameter sin2phi_1 in B0 c c K0 decays, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108 (2012) 171802
P. Križan, Overview of particle identification techniques, Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A706 (2013) 48.