Prof. Dr. Maja Čemažar, Dr. Gregor Serša
Cell proliferation and tumor growth characteristics: kinetics of cellular and tumor growth, factors that affect tumor growth, test of tumor growth.
Cell proliferation and organization of normal tissues: organization of normal tissues depending on cell proliferation and with it connect radiation response
Radiation effects on cells: reproductive cell death concepts, cell clonogenity, cell survival curves, models of cell survival curves, DNA damage and damage of other organels, genetic control of the cellular response to radiation
Response and normal tissue tolerance: normal tissue radiation damage assessment approaches, functional tests and clonogen survival tests, early and late tissue toxicity
Tumor radiobiology: approaches to evaluate anti-tumor effects in vivo
Radiosensitivity of cells: dependence on cell cycle, proliferative potential, cell differentiality and radiation damage repair
• E.J.Hall: Radiobiology for the Radiologist, Lippincott Williams and Wikins Publishers; 5th edition, 588 pp.. ISBN: 0781726492
• I.F. Tannock in R.P. Hill: The Basic Science of Oncology, McGraw Hill, 3rd edition, 539 pp. ISBN 0071054847
• G.G. Steel: Basic Clinical Radiobiology, Edward Arnold, 3rd edition, 280 pp. ISBN: 0340807830
Students get familiar with the theoretical basis of radiobiology that lead to more effective radiation therapy.
Understanding of the specific biological properties of tumor cells and tumors. Understanding of the radiation effects on different biological systems, from the molecular to organ level. Understanding of the basic biological principles of the combined therapies – radiosensitivity and radioprotection.
Knowledge and understanding:
Understanding fundamental concepts of basic and clinical radiobiology.
Use of the radiobiology knowlege for recognision and solving of the problems in radiation therapy.
Critical evaluation of the fundamental knowledge of basic and clinical radiobiology in radiotherapy and diagnostic radiology.
Ability to understand biomedical fields related to ionizing radiation and ability to effectively communicate with the experts from these fields.
Lectures, seminars, consultations.
grading: 5 (fail), 6-10 (pass) (according to the Statute of UL)
- Čemažar M, Grošel A, Glavač D, Kotnik V, Skoberne M, Kranjc S, Mir LM, Andre F, Opolon P, Serša G. Effects of electrogenetherapy with p53wt combined with cisplatin on survival of human tumor cell lines with different p53 status. DNA Cell Biol 2003; 22: 765-75.
- Čemažar M, Wilsom I, Dachs GU, Tozer G, Serša G. Direct visualization of electroporation-assisted in vivo gene delivery to tumors using intravital microscopy – spatial and time dependent distribution. BMC Cancer 2004; 4:81. doi:10.1186/1471-2407-4-81
- Snoj M, Rudolf Z, Čemažar M, Jančar B, Serša G. Successful sphincter-saving treatment of anorectal malignant melanoma with electrochemotherapy, local excision and adjuvant brachytherapy. Anti-Cancer Drugs 2005; 16: 345-8.