There are around 60 teaching staff and 10 PhD students at the Department of Mathematics which comprises one half of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics. Mathematics has had a long tradition at the University of Ljubljana. The university was founded in 1919 and the first two rectors were mathematicians. They founded the study of pure and applied mathematics. Since then, our undergraduate study programs in mathematics have been reformed several times. Presently our study programs follow the Bologna reform 3+2 system.
The default language of instruction is Slovenian. For the last few years we have had visiting professors giving a handful of master's courses in English. For visiting exchange students, consultations, exams, and sometimes course materials in English are available. PhD courses are typically taught in English whenever there is a visiting student. Master's students are usually not allowed to attend PhD courses unless they are exceptionally good. In any case, visiting students are strongly advised to attend an Erasmus Intensive Language Course (EILC) before the beginning of classes.
The Erasmus coordinator of the Department of Mathematics is doc. dr. Matija Vidmar.
- Course catalogues of the Department of Mathematics
- List of courses taught in English in the current academic year
- Course timetable of the Department of Mathematics
- Seminar announcements of the Department of Mathematics
- Course timetable of the Interdisciplinary programme in Mathematics and Computer Science (=IŠRM) can be obtained either from the webpage above (course timetable) or the webpage of the Faculy of Computer Science and Informatics.
- International office of the University of Ljubljana - Welcome Guide