The program is determined each year, and typically covers topics in physics and related fields research, which are pursued at the faculty as well as in the related institutions. Supervisors of students are lecturers at FMF-UL as well as researchers at related institutions.
Students can choose the seminar topic among the available topics or through the choice of the supervisor - teacher at the faculty. Students will perform literature search in various databases and on internet.
Lecture can be up to 40 minutes long, allowing 5 minutes for discussion. Lecture is based on computer slides. After the lecture, final written version of the seminar must be submitted in two weeks. Text should not exceed 12 pages. Final form of the text must suitable for publication at the conference or in a journal. During the 1st semester students also attend some of the presentations at Seminar II in order to identify research areas rthey are interested in and conact potential supervisors.
Pregledne revije, ki so namenjene širši fizikalni javnosti:
- Contemporary Physics, Physics Today, Physics world, Science, Nature, itd.
- Spletne zbirke: INSPEC (Engineering Village), ki pokriva fiziko in elektrotehniko; Web of Science (Thompson ISI Web of Knowledge), ki je nekoliko manj podrobna, vendar pokriva praktično vso znanost in tudi citiranje del.
Navodila za pripravo rokopisov:
William Strunk, Jr., E. B. White, \\\\"The Elements of Style\\\\".
Students gain experience in presenting to a broad nuclear engineering and physics audience; they also gain experience in scientific discussions.
- selection of seminar topic
- literature review
- listening of the various lecturers
- asking questions, learning on the mistakes of other students.
Knowledge and understanding:
Obtaining a broad knowledge in recent developments in physics and related fields. Knowledge of basic principles of writing scientific papers and preparing of lectures.
Presentation of research work, writing of scientific papers. Taking part in scientific discussions. Transfer of knowledge and experience between various areas in physics.
Critical assessment of the data found in the literature. Critical evaluation of lecturers.
Presentation of research work, writing of scientific papers. Taking part in a discussion.
Lectures, seminar preparation
grading: 5 (fail), 6-10 (pass) (according to the Statute of UL)
Prof. Slobodan Žumer
• 1. M. Chambers, B. Zalar, M. Remškar, J. Kovač, H. Finkelmann, and S. Žumer, Investigations on an integrated conducting nanoparticle-liquid crystal elastomer layer, Nanotechnology 18, 415706 (2007).
• 2. P. Kossyrev, M. Ravnik, S. Žumer, Branching of colloidal chains inside supramicrometer capillaries, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 048301 (2006).
3. I. Muševič, M. Škarabot, U. Tkalec, M. Ravnik, and S. Žumer, Two-dimensional nematic colloidal crystals self-assembled by topological defects, Science 18, 954-958 (2006).
prof. Peter Križan
• I. Adachi et al. [Belle Collaboration], Measurement of B- tau- nu with a Hadronic Tagging Method Using the Full Data Sample of Belle, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110 (2013) 131801
• I. Adachi et al., Precise measurement of the CP violation parameter sin2phi_1 in B0 c c K0 decays, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108 (2012) 171802
P. Križan, Overview of particle identification techniques, Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A706 (2013) 48.